Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I just love Lana Del Rey: Album Review


Lana Del Rey is quickly becoming my most embarrassing obsession. When I was first introduced to her by a friend of mine I was enormous skeptical and judgmental of her music, lyrics, etc...but then I slowly found myself listening to Born to Die on repeat. I quickly became completely obsessed with almost every single track on the album, including the bonus tracks. Besides her music, I love her cold, unattached, trippy live performances, amazing fashion choices, her NAILS, her puffy lips...I'm just really into all of it. 

Anyway, when I realized Lana was releasing an EP I quickly started searching for leaked tracks and adored the snippets I managed to find. Finally, after weeks of waiting, the EP has been released and it does NOT disappoint. Weirdly, the first single from the album "Ride" is my LEAST favorite song on the EP, and I still really like that song. I also loved the totally deranged 10 minute music video of the song. Lana is like...oddly compelling and vulnerable...I hate myself for being moved by her cold, empty stares and weird lips...but I am...I just am.

I think my favorites from this EP are "American," which is just a really good song with good hooks, etc. "Cola" and "Body Electric"are tied for most favorite on the EP. "Cola" has the lyric "My p*ssy tastes like Pepsi Cola," which as someone I know said is the "best ad placement of all time." Both these songs are sort of dark, sort of remind me of Fiona Apple. Lana does a cover of the song "Blue Velvet," which you've probably heard on the H&M commercials, which I'm definitely into. "Yayo," was the one song that took me a few listens to get into, and finally I was just hypnotized by her bizarre vocal choices. "Bel Air" is just a dreamy dream of a song. OH and I almost forgot. "Gods and Monsters" has some of the most demented, enjoyable lyrics in a song I've heard in a long time. Good stuff! Angels wanting sex is always fun! Oh, and one last thing, Lana shows off her vocal range in "Cola," doing a few runs in head voice up to a high C sharp...I mean, you can hear her the cigarettes, but I was legit surprised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment