Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Fab article with Angela Lansbury, 86 and still being awesome!


Hello, gorgeous fans. It's such a relief to know that one of Broadway and televisions's my loved stars is, first of all, still ALIVE, and secondly, she is still acting and being amazing. Angela Lansbury is truly and living legend. From her early days at MGM doing movies like Gaslight, Harvey Girls, Portrait of Dorian Gray, and then to her stage triumphs on Broadway in shows like Mame, Sweeney Todd, Gypsy and Dear World (all of which she won Tony's for), and then to her years as Jessica Fletcher on Murder, She Wrote, Angela has done it all and continues to do it marvelously. I was sent this article that was recently done with her at her NYC home. She's currently in Gor Vidal's, The Best Man, and when asked if she was tired, she replied, "I'm the bionic woman."

In the interview with Lansbury, she reflects on her rise to success, getting out of England during the war and moving to Los Angeles where she got a contract with MGM. She talks about her first husband who ended up being gay and left her. And her second and last husband, who she was with for 54 years, who also became her manager and father of her two children. Also, she briefly talks about how her two children developed DRUG problems, which prompted them to move to Ireland to escape the pressure of Los Angeles life.

I had the pleasure of meeting La Lansbury while I was sitting in a rehearsal studio common area. It was right before the opening of A Little Night Music, and I was sitting at a table alone. Then this beautiful, vaguely familiar woman came and sat with me at my table, and I thought, "Is that Catherine Zeta Jones?" Then, five minutes later, when Angela came and sat at the same table, I was almost CERTAIN it was her, but of course, I was WAY more excited about seeing Angela, who I had discreetly understudied YEARS ago in the ill fated revival of Mame. She was so kind to me when I gushed over her and I will never forget it. She is a true legend. OH, and Catherine Zeta Jones was a total doll as well.

2 comments:

  1. Ms. Lansbury and her husband NEVER had any drug problems, she was talking about their kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the correction, fixed it in the post, I totally misread that and thought, WHAT?!?!? Angela Lansbury?!?! Glad it was a misread :)

    ReplyDelete