Sunday, April 29, 2012

I like opera...sometimes...but I always like Leyla Gencer


Hello, gorgeous fans. So, as some of you might know, I began my career as a diva of the operatic stage. Because of some various...um...issues I was having, I had to put my opera career on hold. Of course I found my way onto the silver screen and then to the Broadway Stage, but I still attended the opera (when forced) and fell in love with many artists. One artist who I want to talk about is Leyla Gencer. La Gencer was the daughter of a wealthy business man in Istanbul. Her father died at a young age, and she decided to become a singer. She studied at the conservatory, but dropped out (like me!) and studied privately with her teacher. She sang with the opera chorus of the Turkish State Theater, until she was discovered and made her debut there as Santuzza.

She went on to be one of the most exciting singers in opera in the 50s, 60s and 70s. She is not as famous as others like Callas, Sutherland, and she would often say she feels she would have been more famous if Callas hadn't been around, but she had her own strengths. One reason I love Leyla Gencer SO much is because in the same evening, she can scream, chest, throw her voice around in reckless ways, and then sing the most gorgeous pianissimo phrases you've ever heard. Many people say that her voice was too small for a lot of the rep she sang, but she obviously made the decision to sing things that matched her temperament, and she always satisfies me! Check out some clips bellow! (The third clip has some AMAZING floated high notes)






(Example of her gorgeous piano singing and then FEARLESS cheating!)





No comments:

Post a Comment