Friday, April 20, 2012

Lauren Bacall in "Applause"




Hello, gorgeous ones! So, I was revisiting some of my favorite musicals of the 60s and 70s, and found myself rediscovering a musical I had written off: Applause. It's a stage adaptation of one of my favorite movies, All About Eve. When I initially listened to it I wished it wasn't so dated, I wished that Karen (Celeste Holm in the movie) had a larger role, and was just not wild about it. A few years later, I really have a whole new appreciation for it, and that partly has to do with the fact that the entire musical, starring Lauren Bacall in as Margo Channing, is available to watch on youtube. This isn't someone blurry recording from the mezzanine. It's a tv broadcast of the show that was done when it first came out. It's a great watch and Bacall is fabulous in the part...maybe someday I'll tackle this show ;)!

2 comments:

  1. I saw Celeste Holm on the Broadway 104 bus 8 or 10 years ago. She looked fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celeste Holm taking a bus?!?!? lunacy!!!

    ReplyDelete