Monday, April 16, 2012

Lucille Balle in Mame

Hello, gorgeous fans. Recently I was revisiting a musical that I have some history with, and would love to create some more history with it someday...if you know what I mean...ANYWAY! The musical is Mame and I think I'm just absolutely perfect for the title role, but I digress. What I really want to talk about is the movie version starring Lucille Ball. The movie was originally meant to star Angela Lansbury, but producers felt she wasn't famous enough to carry the film...despite being nominated for three Oscars and being very well know...so Lucille Ball was cast. Initially, George Cukor was set to direct the film, but after Lucy got into a skiing accident and had to take some time to recover, he pulled out of the film, and was replaced by the stage production's direct, Gene Saks.

Gene Saks was also married to Bea Arthur at the time, so she was cast as Vera. Originally, Bette Davis was being considered for the role, and I'm sure Cukor would have been happy to have her, but because Gene Saks was married to Bea, the role went to her. Another bit of casting trivia is that Madeline Kahn was set to play the maid, Agnes Gooch, but supposedly she and Lucy didn't get along and Kahn left the project. (I'm sure Madeline was stealing the movie...) Anyway, this film version opened to a big box office, but got the most dismal reviews ever. Sure it's stagy looking....sure Lucille Ball looks and sounds like a drag queen...and Bea Arthur....SURE the camera lens was covered with bacon fat whenever Lucy had a closeup...but I still absolutely adore this movie. I think Lucille Ball is absolutely charming in it and her costumes and makeup are just so enjoyably over the top. I think it's just a great story...and like I said, I'm hoping there's a production of Mame in my future...the entire film is on youtube! Check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment